Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Charlotte, NC

How to Verify a Professional's License in Charlotte?

Charlotte's professionals are licensed by one of the 32 licensing boards established by the North Carolina Professional Corporation Act. Employing a licensed professional is one way to secure your project and ensure that you have a successful outcome. This is because licensed professionals have been put through checks and examinations to ensure that they are duly capable of carrying out the duties that they are licensed for. To verify the license of the professional you want to hire, contact the North Carolina Consumer Complaint Division at (919)716-6000. You may make inquiries on the license requirements for that specific category of professionals and also verify the individual license of the professional in question. Alternatively, you can contact the licensing board responsible for regulating your intended professional or visit the online verification platform provided by this board. For example, if the professional you intend to work with is a real estate agent, you may search the North Carolina Real Estate Commission database or call the commission for inquiries at (919)875-3700. Similarly, licenses for building-related professionals like home improvement contractors are maintained by the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors and you may contact them for inquiries and verification at (919) 571-4183.

In addition to professional licenses, certain projects may also require that you or the professional working for you obtain a permit. For instance, to carry out any reconstruction, alteration, repair, new construction, or similar actions, you will need to obtain a building permit from Charlotte's CLT Development Center. You may contact the Department at (980)264-9580 for inquiries on how to obtain permits and when permits may be required.

North Carolina Contractor License Search:

Do Charlotte Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

There are 7 Districts in Charlotte which make up the city and are home to all its inhabitants. The city council is the legislative arm of the city and is made up of eleven members. Seven of these members are elected from each district while the Mayor and 3 others are elected at large. You may find out about what district your neighborhood falls into, information on the councilperson representing you, and other related information using the interactive online map provided by the city.

The city council does not issue building-related permits but it handles administrative functions for the city such as enacting ordinances and setting policy. As a sign of the city's drive to build better neighborhoods, there have been a number of infrastructural improvements all across the city, such as the ongoing construction of several high-rise buildings across the city. These include the almost completed 16-floor, 293,000 square-foot office tower on Hawkins Street close to Sycamore Brewing and the Lowes Tech Center, a 357,000 square-foot 23-floor office tower in Design District, which is also almost completed too. It is important to note that these projects are a combination of private and city-led initiatives with some made possible through collaborations between the city officials and residents. Further down in Pineville, wiring of the new town hall and library is underway with the two-story project expected to be completed by the summer of 2022.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Charlotte?

Unfair business complaints and consumer complaints in Charlotte may be filed with the Consumer Protection Division of the North Carolina Department of Justice. You may file complaints with this office on the basis of scams, fraud, or allegations of malpractice, and these complaints can be made online by filling the appropriate complaint form. Four supporting documents may be attached to the complaint form before submission. If you intend to provide more than four supporting documents, you can send these additional documents alongside a printed copy of your complaint form to

  • 14 West Edenton Street
  • Raleigh, NC 27603

Alternatively, you could call (877) 5-NO-SCAM to file complaints. This number can also be used to make inquiries concerning the complaint reporting process.

Note that the North Carolina Consumer Protection Division can only serve as a mediating party between you and the business complained of. After you submit your complaint, a copy is sent to the business inviting its response. If the business complained of falls under the jurisdiction of a different local, state, or federal agency, a copy of the complaint may also be forwarded to the appropriate agency. In some cases, the Consumer Protection Division may elect to take up a legal case in the interest of the public where it is seen that the business complained of has shown a pattern of illegal practices. However, these cases are not handled on behalf of the complainant and there is no guarantee that they will lead to a refund of any funds that you may have lost to the business. If there is no response from the business or the mediation process results in an outcome that you consider unfavorable or wrong, you may proceed to a Mecklenburg County Courthouse to file a private legal action.