Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Greensboro City, NC

How to Verify a Professional's License in Greensboro City?

Professionals in Greensboro are licensed by one of the 32 licensing boards established by the North Carolina Professional Corporation Act. Employing the right professional is one of the first steps in ensuring a successful project outcome. Asides from conducting reference checks, another way of ensuring you only hire credible professionals is by making sure the professionals are duly licensed.

To confirm if the professional you're about to hire is licensed, contact the North Carolina Consumer Complaint Division on (919)716-6000 to find out the license requirements and verify the license of the professional to be hired. Alternatively, you may visit the verification platform of the licensing board to which the professional belongs. For example, if the professional is an engineer or surveyor, you can verify the license by visiting the license verification portal maintained by the North Carolina Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors. Similarly, if you want to verify the licenses of building-related contractors, like construction and home improvement contractors, you may contact the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors on (919) 571-4183. Asides from the licenses required by professionals, permits may be needed when carrying out certain projects. For example, if one of the projects being carried out is for home improvements or other types of construction a permit may be needed from the Greensboro Department of Engineering and Inspections. You can find out the process for applying for commercial or residential building permits, demolition permits, residential accessory permits, and other city-issued permits by contacting this department at (336) 373-2155.

North Carolina Contractor License Search:

Do Greensboro Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Greensboro has 5 Districts and all the neighborhoods within the city belong to at least one of these districts. Each district elects one member into the City Council. The City Council is the legislative body of the city and is made up of 8 members elected to 4-year terms, and they include the district-elected representatives as well as the Greensboro Mayor and 2 other council members are elected at large. To find out what neighborhood council district you're in and also get details on the District representative access the city council's interactive map.

Although the City's districts help form a united voice for pushing district-specific agendas and provide a voice to the people living in each district, they do not issue permits. On August 26, 2021, the Housing Authority for Greensboro held a public hearing on its plan to issue multifamily housing revenue bonds for the acquisition, construction, and equipping of the multifamily residential units at The Arbors at South Crossing. The City also has an ongoing request for proposals for non-profit organizations to help low and moderate-income homes impacted by the April 2018 tornado. The initiative is to help repair, reconstruct or build new homes in tornado-impacted neighborhoods.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Greensboro?

You can file a consumer complaint in Greensboro against a business on the basis of scams, frauds, or allegations of malpractice with the Consumer Protection Division maintained by the North Carolina Department of Justice. Online complaints may be filed using the appropriate complaint form. You may also make complaints by calling (877) 5-NO-SCAM. When filing a complaint online, you may attach four supporting documents to the online application. If there are more than four supporting documents, additional documents may be sent alongside a printed copy of the application form by mail to

  • 14 West Edenton Street
  • Raleigh, NC 27603

It is important to note that the Consumer Protection Division only acts as a mediator between you and the business. When you submit a complaint, it is forwarded to the business alongside all supporting documents with a request for a response. In some cases, the business complained about may fall under the jurisdiction of a different federal, state, or local agency and the complaint may be referred to such agency for further action. If at the completion of the process there is no agreement reached or you are unsatisfied with the resolution, you may proceed to file a case at the Guildford County Courthouse located within the city. Note that the Consumer Protection Division may choose to take legal action to protect the public in some cases where a particular business has shown a pattern of illegal practices. However, this office cannot help private individuals institute actions or recover monies on their behalf.

Professions in Greensboro City