Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Cary Town, NC

How to Verify a Professional's License in Cary Town?

Businesses and professionals in the Town of Cary typically require licensing to offer their services to the public. For example, a general contractor must be licensed by the North Carolina Licensing Board for General Contractors to be eligible to work on a project valued at $30,000 or more. Most professional licensing is done at the state level, where over 50 occupational licensing boards issue more than 950 occupational licenses and permits to eligible professionals. You can verify the license held by a professional through the relevant board regulating the service you require. For example, you can verify an electrician's license online or by calling (919) 733-9042. The same can be done for a plumber/HVAC installer and general contractor online or by calling (919) 875-3612 and (919) 571-4183 respectively.

Additionally, the Town of Cary's Inspections and Permits Department reviews and issues permits for construction-related activities within its jurisdiction. Per city laws, residents are required to obtain the relevant permits before the commencement of any such project. You can call either 311 or (919) 469-4046 to inquire about the permit procuring process for your project.

North Carolina Contractor License Search:

Do Cary Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

The Cary Town Council is made up of seven members, including elected representatives from its four districts. The functions of the Council generally include approving the town's annual budget, setting the tax rate, and enacting municipal laws. While the Cary Town Council does not issue construction permits, it is within its power to approve townwide public construction projects. For example, the Town of Cary, in conjunction with the Town of Apex, approved a project to improve Lake Pine Drive from east of Pine Plaza Drive to the northeast of Versailles Drive. The project, scheduled for commencement in 2021, will widen the roadway to a three-lane section and include connecting the sidewalks on the west side of the road. Similarly, the Council approved the ongoing Reedy Creek Road Widening Project, which will also fit a roundabout traffic pattern at the intersection of Reedy Creek Schools and Wyatts Pond Lane. You can discover which district you reside in by checking out the Find Your Council District webpage.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Cary?

In situations where you have an issue with a professional you hired or wish to report an unfair business practice in the Town of Cary, you can file a complaint with the North Carolina Department of Justice. These complaints can be filed either by completing the relevant online complaint form or by calling (919) 716-6000.

After receiving a complaint, along with any supporting documents, the Department usually forwards copies of these documents to the business in question and invites a response, after which it tries to work with both parties to resolve the dispute. If the parties cannot reach a resolution, the Department may suggest that the complainant consult a private attorney or file an action in Wake County Small Claims Court. Note that this court only handles disputes involving less than $10,000 in value. Depending on the circumstances of your complaint, you may be required to file a lawsuit at a more appropriate court.